Monday, October 5, 2020

Simon Says Challnge: Dry Embossing. Thanksgiving Card!

Hello and welcome to my blog!  

I completed the latest Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. This week's challenge was to do some Dry Embossing in my creation. I love these challenges as they often have me using things that I haven't used in a while. Dry embossing is one of those things. I also used Tim Holtz Distress Spray Stains which is another product I often forget about. 






Here is the link to the challenge: https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/ 

I was inspired by the beautiful fall colors we have here in Minnesota right now; I thought I could use this as a Thanksgiving card.



The background paper was Neenah Solar White dry embossed with Tim Holtz Leafy Texture Fade from Sizzix (now discontinued). I then sprayed it with Distress Spray Stains. To give it a little gold shimmer I also sprayed on Perfect Pearls Spray. The new Crackling Campfire color in the Spray Stain is fantastic!




To make the Leafy embossing show up more I used the Tim Holtz Layering Stencil in Honeycomb with a few Distress Crayons that I rubbed in with my finger. To make them blend in even better I rubbed them even further with a slightly damp paper towel. 


Using the Gina K Master Layouts 2 stitched dies, I trimmed my background paper. I then cut out another panel from Distress paper. I sanded it slightly to make it look vintage.


I decided another panel in brown might make it stand out nice, so I unstuck it and added in a piece of brown paper from my scrap bin.


I took another piece of Neenah cardstock and blended some Distress Ink in Walnut Stain, Frayed Burlap, and Crackling Campfire. I used my Tim Holtz Distress Sprayer to add a variety of water droplets. I also edged it slightly with Black Soot.


I then decided on one of the Butterfly stamps from Tim Holtz Flutter and at that time realized that it would look better in horizontal, rather than portrait. I stamped it using Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black. I wanted to try out my new embossing glaze in Crackling Campfire but I don't have the embossing pens or the new Embossing Dauber, so I took my Distress embossing pad and tapped it over the butterfly. I then used my finger to rub off any around it. I sprinkled on the embossing glaze in Crackling Campfire and then used a small paintbrush to remove any of the glaze where I didn't want it. I then heat embossed it. I actually am really pleased with how messy the embossing turned out -- It looks all the more distressed!


I then added a few Stickles in a gold and rusty brown.



I backed the card with black Neenah cardstock. I am really pleased with how well it turned out. I am always thankful for the Simon Says Stamp challenges as they stretch my crafting horizons!


The pictures really don't do it justice -- the colors are more vibrant in real life. Please leave your comments - I'd love to know what you think!

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. Your project looks like a lot of fun to do, especially using your fingers to spread the paint! The result is pretty too. I read about your health crisis -- what a nightmare! Good that you are going well towards recovery.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete